Search This Blog

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Wild & Three Thursday!

Unfortunately, a gardner I am not. This makes me just a little bit sad. 

My Grandpa Woods always had a huge bountiful garden at my aunt Lela's house. In the summers when I stayed with them I always looked forward to going up to the garden in the evenings to water, weed and pick. My grandmother grew lots of plants and flowers around her yard. Lots and lots, iris's, elephant ears and African violets are what I remember most. She also "put up" the harvest from grandpa's garden. Rows and rows of pickled beets, green beans and pickles lined her pantry! My other grandma had flowers and a vegetable garden. She always had the prettiest red geraniums on her front porch. I also remember her wonderful garden as well as eating wilted lettuce, yum! It was the best. She always had a big pot of green beans simmering with onions and bacon for dinner during bean season. I remember sitting on the front porch to snap the beans. 

Ahhhh, I do wish I had more of a green thumb and I do continue to muddle through trying to grow things. Last year I did a couple tomato plants but had very few to harvest. I also did some flowers on my front porch that did awesome. This year I planted tulip and daffodil bulbs with some success and a friend gave us some iris bulbs. I am planning to put out a couple tomato plants again and I have basil started in an egg carton. I am hopeful!



No comments:

Post a Comment